An unexpected fall can quickly become a scary situation. Older adults can become severely and irreversibly injured if they experience a traumatic fall so doing whatever they can to prevent such a thing from happening is very important. Take a look at the following activities you or your loved ones can partake in to help avoid unnecessary spills.
One of the simplest and most effective activities are balance exercises. It’s first helpful to gauge where you’re currently at with your balance. Close to a wall or the back of a chair, try standing on one foot. Can you make it for 5 seconds? If you’re a bit wobbly or couldn’t stand without placing your foot back down, your balance could use some work. It’s not uncommon for elderly individuals to limit the amount they move about due to the fear of falling, but this is counterproductive.
Home Safety Tips
There are several areas in the home in which elderly people are likely to fall. Doing a thorough inspection of your living spaces will help prevent mishaps.
Things to look for are:
- Cluttered floor: be sure no items such as shoes, books or any other out of place things are left out.
- Use area rugs: many homes in Southern California have tile or wood floors. Use area rugs to create traction in the home.
- Non-slip mats: purchase non-slip mats for bathtubs and showers. This is a particularly dangerous area in the home and a common place for falls to occur.
- Wear shoes indoors: If you’ve got tile, wood or laminate floors, socks of stockings will increase your risk of slipping. Wear shoes even when inside.
- Increase lighting: the inability to see “road hazards” can easily trip you up. Make sure the home is well lit.
- Ask for help: avoiding ladders and step stools can be inconvenient, but it’s better to wait for someone to help than to take a nasty tumble.
- Hide wires: it’s incredibly easy to get your foot trapped on a wire. If there’s no way to avoid running cords through a walkway, cover them with cord protectors.
Chiropractic Assistance for Falls
There’s a high probability that you’re experiencing chiropractic problems without understanding the source of the issue and these issues are very likely effecting your balance. Seeing a chiropractor for concerns which arise with age should be a part of your regular healthcare plan. As it relates to preventing falls, a chiropractor will be able to examine your gait and determine if your body is out of alignment. Being even slightly askew effects a person’s balance. Your chiropractor can help through various spinal manipulations and adjustments.
Chiropractors can also help with general musculoskeletal discomfort. Experienced professionals take into account a patients age, so don’t be concerned that you’re not up for a chiropractic visit. Chiropractors will use gentle techniques to relieve bodily stress and correct alignment. For more information or if you’d like to see a chiropractor for assistance with balance or musculoskeletal discomfort, Catalina Medical is here to help. If you’re in the Redondo Beach area, click here to schedule your appointment today.